Harmful chemicals have found their way into every aspect of our lives. Clothing is no exception. But when it comes to baby clothing, it is best to avoid harmful compounds. And you can do that by choosing organic baby clothes. But what makes some baby clothes ‘organic’?
We explain this to you in this MomJunction post and also provide a list of 15 best organic baby clothing brands that you can pick for your baby.
Why Buy Organic Baby Clothes?
Organic baby clothes provide certain advantages over ones that have synthetic or chemical-based fibers.
- Organically grown plants: Organic clothes come from natural fibers of organically grown cotton, soy, flax, and bamboo plants. These plants are grown using only organic pesticides and fertilizers and are also not likely to contain any genetically modified organisms (GMOs). Manufacturers aim to keep chemicals away right from the beginning, from the cultivation of the crops.
- Sustainable farming techniques: Most organic fabric is made of fiber sourced from sustainable farms. Sustainable farming methods respect the agricultural limits of the soil and focus on retaining maximum soil fertility. The carbon footprint of sustainable farming methods is also low, which in turn benefits the environment at large.
- Ethical working practices: Most facilities and factories that make organic clothes observe ethical working standards with adequate pay and vacation for its employees. Several manufacturers invest in community development through efforts to improve women health, child education, and sanitation.
- No post-manufacturing treatment: Organic baby clothes are not sprayed with post-manufacturing chemicals, such as flame retardants. This prevents exposure to compounds that can be potential skin irritants.
When you buy organic baby clothes, you indirectly contribute to improving the socio-economic conditions of a community somewhere in the world and also help protect the environment.
Keep reading to learn about the organic brands you can invest in.
15 Best Organic Baby Clothes Brands
1. Burt’s Bees
Burt’s Bees organic products are made with 100% organic cotton. You can almost get any baby clothing and bedding product including burp cloths and bibs in organic cotton.
- Organic cotton is grown with zero use of synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Zero damage to the soil and groundwater in growing the cotton.
- The cotton fiber is combed thoroughly to remove any micro impurities and ring-spun to make high-quality yarn.
- The organic cotton can last five times longer than cotton grown through non-organic methods.
- Global organic textile standard (GOTS)-certified.
Buy at Burt’s Bees (www.burtsbeesbaby.com/organic-baby-clothes)
This manufacturer only makes organic clothing and has been doing so for more than ten years.
- Clothes are made from 100% organic cotton sourced from non-genetically modified plants (non-GMOs).
- There is no use of toxic heavy metals, formaldehyde, and chemical solvents at any stage of processing the cotton or making the fiber.
- The manufacturer uses safe dyes that are not carcinogenic.
- The buttons, trims & snaps that go into the clothing are free of PVC, nickel, and chrome, all compounds that could affect a baby’s sensitive skin.
- Even the packaging is free from PVC.
Buy at L’ovedbaby (www.lovedbaby.com)
3. Finn + Emma
A manufacturer who focuses on producing garments in fair trade settings and providing a safe work environment to the workers.
- Safe and non-toxic cotton without harmful dyes that is usually found in non-organic clothing.
- No chemicals used at any stage of processing. Does not contain acrylics, petrochemicals, esters, and PVC.
- Biodegradable inks and dyes used during the coloring process.
- At no point during manufacturing do the clothes come in contact with heavy metals, nickel, and PVC.
- Certified by Global organic textile standard (GOTS).
Buy at Finn + Emma (www.finnandemma.com)
Nearly all the products of the brand contain some amount of Azlon – a fiber derived from soybean protein. Azlon is naturally soft and makes the baby’s clothes extra comfortable.
- Clothes are made of Azlon that comes from the soybean protein fiber, organic cotton and bamboo rayon.
- All raw materials are sourced from sustainable farming.
- No harmful chemicals or solvents are used in the making of the fiber and manufacturing of the cloth.
- All zips, fasteners, buttons, and snaps are free of nickel and other compounds that could affect the baby’s delicate skin.
Buy at Babysoy (www.babysoyusa.com)
5. Hanna Andersson
A baby clothes company with Swedish roots. It has been in the organic baby clothing business for more than three decades.
- 100% organic cotton used across several categories of clothing ranging from sleepwear to baby socks.
- Cotton is sourced from plants grown without the use of chemical pesticides and fertilizers. No genetically modified organisms (GMOs) used.
- Most of the products meet the ‘standard 100’ set by Oeko-Tex association, which is an independent textile industry body. ‘Standard 100’ certification indicates that the fabric is free of harmful chemicals and dyes.
Buy at Hanna Andersson (www.hannaandersson.com)
6. Cat and Dogma
Cat and Dogma aims at reducing its carbon footprint during the manufacturing process and uses efficient crop growing techniques.
- All the baby clothes are made from 100% organic cotton grown through sustainable farming techniques that use 98% less water than conventional cotton farming.
- Each product is free of chemical dyes and bleaches.
- Certified by the Global organic textile standard (GOTS) and the Green America organization.
Buy at Cat and Dogma (www.catanddogma.com)
7. Go Gently Nation
Only organic raw materials go into the making of the brand’s products. It also adheres to several eco-business practices.
- Organic baby clothes are made entirely from fabrics made from organic and sustainable fibers.
- The manufacturer uses certified water-based inks and low impact dyes on clothes.
Buy at Go Gently Nation (gogentlynation.com)
8. Colored Organics
Colored Organics maintains ethical practices in sourcing organic cotton. Fair wages & medical benefits for farmers and workers are some of the ways the brand adheres to ethical business practices.
- Baby clothes made from organic cotton grown without the use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides.
- The cotton crop is grown from natural, untreated GMO-free seeds.
- No post-manufacturing treatment with chemicals. All clothes are hypoallergenic and safe for the baby’s sensitive skin.
Buy at Colored Organics (www.coloredorganics.com)
9. Kate Quinn Organics
Organic baby clothing not just from organic cotton, but also from organic bamboo fabric, which is derived from bamboo grass.
- Products made from organic cotton and bamboo fiber. Both are sourced from plants grown without the use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides.
- Safe dyes used during the coloring process.
- Global organic textile standard (GOTS)-certified cotton. Bamboo fiber tested and deemed safe by a facility certified by the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) of the United States.
Buy at Kate Quinn Organics (www.katequinnorganics.com)
10. Monica + Andy
The brand makes everything including sweaters and cardigans out of organic cotton!
- All products made from 100% organic cotton.
- Products not treated with harmful chemicals like lead and phthalate.
- Monica + Andy products are certified by Global organic textile standard (GOTS).
Buy at Monica + Andy (monicaandandy.com/)
11. Parade Organics
Parade Organics focuses entirely on organic clothing. It sells both online and through boutiques across North America.
- A portfolio of baby clothes made from 100% organic cotton.
- The fabric is safe and gentle on the baby’s sensitive skin.
- Parade Organics products are certified by Global organic textile standard (GOTS).
Buy at Parade Organics (paradebaby.com/)
12. Under the Nile
The brand only uses ethically grown, organic Egyptian cotton, which is world renowned for its natural softness.
- Organic cotton grown in specialized farms with biodynamic-style of farming that encourage biological diversity on the farm.
- Only natural fertilizers used in the growing process, which ensures that no chemicals get on to the cotton.
- The organic cotton is certified by Global organic textile standard (GOTS) and National Organic Program of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
Buy at Under the Nile (underthenile.com)
13. Winter Water Factory
The New York City-based textile manufacturer creates several high-quality fabrics with 100% organic cotton.
- 100% organic cotton, free of pesticides and other harmful chemicals.
- Organic cotton is gentle on baby’s sensitive skin.
Buy at Winter Water Factory (www.winterwaterfactory.com)
The manufacturer uses water-based inks on all its clothes to make them extra safe for a baby.
- 100% organic cotton used to make all clothes.
- The fasteners on the clothes are free of nickel.
- Certified by Global organic textile standard (GOTS).
Buy at Softbaby (www.soft-baby-clothes.com)
15. Art & Eden
All products are manufactured in fair trade factories. The company even uses recycled packaging to minimize the impact on the environment.
- Organic cotton obtained from sustainable farming.
- Low impact dyes used across all products.
- Free of harmful chemicals.
Buy at Art & Eden (www.artandeden.com)
You give the safest, chemical-free food and water to your baby, so why compromise on clothing? Organic is the way to go even when it comes to the baby’s clothing. By choosing chemical-free, organic clothing options, you keep your baby healthy and away from harmful chemicals.