Babies have a sensitive skin, which needs a lot of care. Every product that is used for babies should be safe and soft on their skin. Baby lotions are important to retain the moisture in the baby’s skin and keep them soft. There are several baby moisturizers available in the market, each with unique benefits.
Choosing the right one is vital while keeping your infant’s skin safety in mind. MomJunction guides you on what moisturizing lotions to buy and gives a few safety tips for you to follow when buying them.
How To Choose A Moisturiser For The Baby?
When buying a moisturizer, keep the following points in mind:
- Baby’s skin type: Each infant is different, and so is their skin type. Select a moisturizer that will suit your baby’s skin. For instance, if your baby has an extra sensitive skin, then choose a lotion that is formulated for infants with heightened skin sensitivity.
- Look for lotions only made for babies: Some lotions are made for individuals of all ages. These multi-age lotions may work well with adults but may not be suitable for infants. Choose lotions that are intended only for babies as manufacturers of such moisturizing baby lotions keep in mind the special needs of an infant’s skin and adhere to precautions.
- Unscented versions: Moisturising lotions have a natural smell. Some may also have added scent or perfume. Always choose unscented products as a manufacturer may add chemicals for fragrances, and that could be bad for the baby’s skin.
Along with the above checklist, there are a host of chemicals that you must keep an eye out on the lotion’s label.
Ingredients to avoid:
It is best to steer clear from baby lotions containing the following substances:
- Paraben is a preservative widely used in cosmetic industry as it prevents the growth of fungus and bacteria. But these antibacterial properties may be carcinogenic (1). There is no extensive research to prove that they are harmful to infants, but it is good to avoid them. Look out for ingredients ending with “paraben” on the lotion’s label.
- Phthalates, standor Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), are used as lubricants and stabilizer in lotions. There is limited research on the effects of phthalates on humans, but they are suspected to affect the reproductive system (2). Most manufacturers of baby lotions explicitly state the absence of phthalates. When looking for phthalates in lotions, look for chemicals or the ones reading similar to Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), dioctyl phthalate (DOP), and bis (2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (BEHP) (3).
- Methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone are two chemicals used as preservatives in cosmetic products. They are known to induce allergies especially in people with very sensitive skin (4). They are easy to spot on the labels as the ingredients end with methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone.
- Sodium laureth sulphate brings a frothy effect in the product and is common in soaps and lotions. It is a clinically-proven skin-irritant, especially in infants with sensitive skin. It also affects the presence of natural skin oils (5). In the products, it ends with names such as sodium laureth sulfate (SLS) and sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLES).
- Propylene glycol is added to lotions to increase their moisturizing capabilities and to make them fragrant. It is a skin irritant, and long-term use can cause prospective mild toxicity (6). When looking for this chemical on the label, look for names such as propylene glycol, 1,2-propanediol, methyl ethyl glycol, 1,2-propylene glycol.
Baby lotion manufacturers do not add the above substances, but it is important to check the label of the lotion to ensure it does not contain these chemicals. It is safe lotions like these that constitute our list of best lotions for infants.
Top 20 Best Lotions For Babies
Best baby lotion for regular use
These lotions can be used in any season and for any part of the body from head to toe. Therefore, they are ideal for regular day-to-day use.
1. Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Lotion
- Quick absorb formula ensures the lotion gets soaked up properly by the infant’s skin.
- Moisturises baby’s skin for 24 hours.
- Active ingredients protect chafed, chapped, and cracked skin.
- Fragrance-free to prevent irritation.Non-greasy and non-comedogenic thus making it ideal lotion for babies with baby acne-prone skin.Tested and approved by pediatricians.
2. Cetaphil Baby Daily Lotion
- One of the best organic baby lotions containing organic calendula, sweet almond oil, and sunflower oil.
- Safe for everyday application to protect the baby’s skin from dryness.
- Rich in vitamins and fats that are essential for maintaining the health of a baby’s skin.
- Tested by dermatologists for safety.
- No essential oils thus the lotion has a mild fragrance.
- The lotion is free of mineral oil, artificial colors, and harmful chemicals like parabens.
- Hypoallergenic that is least likely to cause allergies.
3. Mamaearth Daily Moisturizing Lotion
- First MadeSafe brand, making it a lotion that is completely safe to use on baby’s delicate skin.
- Contains shea and cocoa butter along with calendula extracts to deeply nourish the baby’s skin from deep within.
- Keeps your baby’s skin gentle and soft all day long.
- Free of harmful chemical such as phthalates, parabens, PEG etc.
- Hypoallergenic and clinically tested by experts in Europe.
- Does not contain any artificial fragrances; only has a mild natural fragrance due to the presence of essential oils.
- Can be used by mommies too to heal cracked and dry nipples.
4. Johnson’s Head-To-Toe Baby Lotion
- Suitable for skin from any part of the body; head to toe.
- Formulated for babies of all age groups including newborns.
- Enriched with vitamin E that keeps the baby’s skin healthy and glowing.
- Free of chemicals like parabens, phthalates, and dyes.
- Tested and approved by pediatricians.
- pH balanced for added protection of baby’s skin.
5. Mustela Hydra Bebe Body Lotion
- Non-greasy and light daily moisturizing lotion for the baby.
- Made with natural avocado extracts.
- Long-lasting moisturizing effect.
- Strengthen and protects the skin.
- Spreads evenly and absorbs easily into the baby’s skin.
- Dermatologically-tested and safe.
6. Sebamed Baby Lotion
- Matches the 5.5 pH of the healthy skin of a baby.
- Non-irritating and readily absorbed by the skin.
- Alkali-free and free of harmful chemicals.
- Can be used with newborns even those less than a month old.
- Contains no added fragrance and colors.
7. Johnson’s Baby Milk Lotion
- Contains natural milk proteins and vitamins.
- Clinically-proven safe and tested by dermatologists.
- Mild natural fragrance is soothing to the baby.
- A water-based lotion, thus Johnso’s Baby safe for delicate baby skin.
- Nourishes skin and makes it smoother with every application
Best baby lotions for eczema
Infants with eczema (also called dermatitis) need special care as their skin is more sensitive than other infants. Here are the lotions safe for infants with eczema. However, check with a pediatrician before using any skin product for a baby with eczema.
8. Cerave Baby Lotion
- Made with essential ceramides that help restore the natural protective function of the skin.
- Hydrates the eczema-ridden baby skin from dryness during winter.
- Keeps the baby’s skin moisturized for 24 hours.
- Has added vitamins for the extra nourishment of the infant’s skin.
- Free of paraben, phthalates, and fragrances.
- Approved and accepted by National Eczema Association of the USA.
9. Eucerin Baby Eczema Relief Body Creme
- Gentle baby eczema lotion made with natural oatmeals.
- Ceramide helps strengthen the natural skin barrier.
- Free of fragrance, artificial colors, and steroids.
- Tested by pediatricians and dermatologists.
- Clinically-proven to reduce itchiness and irritation of the skin in babies with eczema.
- Reduces redness of the affected skin area.
- Prevents onset of minor rashes caused by eczema.
10. Cetaphil Baby Eczema Calming Lotion
- Provides long-lasting relief from the irritation caused by eczema.
- Helps relieve symptoms of other forms of dermatitis like cradle cap.
- Water-based lotion that is gentle the skin.
- Ceramide content improves the skin’s natural defenses.
- Hypoallergenic, free of parabens and fragrances.
- Safe even for newborns.Approved and accepted by National Eczema Association, US.
11. Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Nighttime Balm
- Application in the night before bedtime provides noticeable relief by morning.
- Made from natural oatmeal and water.
- Oatmeal help restores skin’s natural pH.Gentle and safe for everyday use.
- Non-greasy and free from harmful chemicals.
- Mild natural fragrance.
- Approved and accepted by National Eczema Association, US.
- Specially formulated for babies with eczema.
Best baby lotions for face
These lotions are good for the baby’s body, but also work well for the ultra delicate facial skin of an infant.
12. California Baby Face & Body Sunscreen Lotion
California Baby Face & Body Sunscreen Lotion
- Face and body lotion with sunscreen SPF 30+ thus making it an excellent baby lotion for summer.
- Contains natural essential oils that work as bug and mosquito repellent.
- Hypoallergenic, DEET-free, and free from harmful chemicals.
- Certified organic and free from gluten
13. Nature’s Baby Organics Face & Body Lotion
- Formulated for body and face including dry and sensitive skin type.
- Natural contents include aloe, chamomile, and calendula.
- Free of harmful chemicals like parabens.
- Hypoallergenic and does not contain gluten.
Best baby lotion for sensitive skin
Some infants have extra tender skin, which requires careful and special care through moisturizers formulated for high skin sensitivity.
14. Johnson’s Baby Lotion Moisturizer For Sensitive Skin
- Softens the skin for 24 hours from the time of application.
- This is Ba best smelling baby lotion with a soothing fragrance that babies will love.Water-based baby lotion formulated for infants with delicate and sensitive skin.
- Lotion nourishes and hydrates the baby’s skin.Tested by pediatricians and dermatologists for safety.
- Paraben-free and hypoallergenic.
15. Burt’s Bees Baby Nourishing Lotion
- Rich, creamy lotion made from the aloe, shea butter, and coconut oil that moisturize the baby’s skin naturally.
- No added fragrance.
- Lotion only contains natural fragrance of its ingredients.Ideal for the complete body of the baby.
- Hypoallergenic and pediatrician tested for a baby’s sensitive skin.
- Free of harmful chemicals like parabens, phthalates, and petroleum products.
16. Baby Dove Lotion Sensitive Moisture
- Hypoallergenic, fragrance-free, and pH-neutral lotion for infants with sensitive skin.
- Soothes irritation from dry skin.
- Keeps the skin hydrated for 24 hours.
- Gentle enough for daily use
- Lotion is water-based and contains no harmful chemicals
- Approved and tested by pediatricians.
17. Acure Baby Lotion
- Dermatologically-approved for safe use with infants.
- Does not contain phthalates and petroleum products. No added fragrance.
- Contains plant extracts from aloe, oat, safflower, and cucumber.
- Free of potential allergens including sulfates, gluten, and parabens.
- Vegan baby lotion, ideal for infants raised in a vegan family.
Best organic baby lotions
These lotions are made from organic plant-based raw materials and other ingredients. They do not contain petroleum products such as mineral oil, are gluten-free, and are vegan.
18. The Honest Company Organic Healing Balm
- Organic moisturizing lotion safe and even ideal for dry skin.
- Calms and soothes the irritation caused by dry skin.
- Free of parabens and petroleum products.
- Natural plant oils reduce skin inflammation thus making the lotion ideal for chafed and cracked skin.
- Beneficial even for infants with eczema.
- Clinically-certified organic product.
19. Himalaya Baby Lotion With Almond And Olive Oil
- Contains natural olive and sweet almond oil.
- Lotion base made with water.100% vegan formulation.
- Makes even the driest skins smooth and soft.
- Mild and safe even for babies with delicate skins.
- Hypoallergenic and free of mineral oil.
20. Earth Mama Angel Baby Angel Baby Lotion
- Ingredients include organic vegetable oils and butter.
- Vegan product.Hypoallergenic and free of gluten.
- Contains no added chemical and fragrances.
- Herbal baby lotion that is suitable even for infants with delicate skin.
- Certified to contain organic ingredients.
- Moisturising lotions provide several benefits to the delicate infant when used the right way.
Tips On Using Baby Moisturizing Lotion
Here are ways to get the most out of baby lotions and ways to use them correctly:
- Wash hands before application: Clean and dry your hands thoroughly before applying a lotion. This prevents the transfer of germs from your hands to the baby’s skin.
- Apply after a bath: A baby’s skin is clean, fresh, and supple after a bath. It is thus the best time to apply head-to-toe lotions to an infant.
- Increase usage in winter: Winter brings down humidity levels, drying the baby’s skin. Apply moisturizers frequently during winters to prevent the baby’s skin from cracking, as this could cause the baby intense irritation.
- Check for allergies: Apply the lotion on a small portion of the baby’s skin to check for any allergic reactions. Baby lotions are hypoallergenic, but it is best to check before use.
- Consult a pediatrician if in doubt: Do not hesitate to take a pediatrician’s opinion before using a lotion and when switching brands. If the baby has a skin condition, then it is more important to take a pediatrician’s opinion. A doctor can provide relevant lotion suggestions depending on your baby’s skin type.
Moisturizing lotions are of immense help in keeping the baby’s skin glowing. Buy the right lotion that suits your baby’s skin type. Regular moisturization in the early years can go a long way in keeping the baby’s skin healthy, glowing, and delightfully supple.